This post is a guest submission. Please see our Affiliate Disclosure & Notification for details.
You would likely agree that most of society is dependent on some form of technology whether it is their phone, computer, tablet, TV, or any other electronic device. Knowing that these items are precious, it is important to keep them stored properly and away from other products and chemicals that could cause damage to them.
If you are in a position where you need to put your computer in storage while you move, you may need some tips on how to do so without damaging it. Fortunately, you’re in luck because we will provide you with those tips.
ALWAYS Be Prepared
You can never be too prepared to store your computer. Prior to storing your computer, take time to backup your files onto multiple devices to ensure it is not lost. Our recommendation would be to backup the files to cloud storage and an external or thumb drive. That way you can have a backup and if you need any files while your computer is in storage, you have access to them.
You should take time to review the owner’s manual to ensure you are packing and storing your computer properly. Often, the owner’s manual will inform you of any special steps you need to take to store or move your item.
Tips for Packing and Storing Your Computer
Below, you will find a list of tips that will help you pack and store your computer properly.
- Remove any DVDs, CDs, or other hardware that is plugged into your computer prior to storing
- Prior to disconnecting the cables and wires, take a picture or two to help you remember where the cables and wires plug into. Once the picture is taken, you can start to unplug and remove the wires
- Always bundle items together with their wires and components such as the keyboard, mouse, speakers, and similar
- Place the items carefully into a box and label the box. You should make a list of what is in the box and attach it to the inside of the box’s flap
- When possible, store all items inside of their original boxes. If you do not have the original boxes, choose a box that is close to the original
- Always wrap monitors in an anti-static foam and place them into a box that is large enough to comfortably house it
- Never wrap your computer monitor in any type of plastic
- Always label your boxes as fragile so that they are handled with the best care
- ONLY store your computer and electronics in a climate-controlled unit to protect them from humidity and serious temperature changes
- Always store your electronic off the ground in case of a flood
To protect your computer, always make sure that you follow the tips above and take great care to pack up your computer properly.
The moment you have a place to put your computer, you should remove it from the storage facility and set it up in your home.
If you need to store your computer in a long term storage unit, do make sure to place it near the back of the unit for the best protection.
Featured Image Source: Pixabay